Germany attack: German-Iranian 18 old killed 9 then himself, Munich police reported

  • Libyan Express + Agencies |
  • Saturday 23 July 2016
Police escorts evacuated people from the shopping mall (the Olympia Einkaufzentrum (OEZ) in Munich on July 22, 2016 following a shootings earlier. At least one person has been killed and 10 wounded in a shooting at a shopping centre in Munich on Friday, German police said. / AFP / STR        (Photo credit should read STR/AFP/Getty Images)

Police escorts evacuated people from the shopping mall (the Olympia Einkaufzentrum (OEZ) in Munich on July 22, 2016 following a shootings earlier.
/ AFP / STR (Photo credit should read STR/AFP/Getty Images)

An 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman who apparently acted alone opened fire near a busy shopping mall in Munich on Friday evening, killing at least nine people in the third attack on civilians in Western Europe in eight days.

As authorities sought to piece together the circumstances of an attack behind which they had found no immediate evidence of an Islamist motive, Munich police said they would hold a 0930 GMT (5.30 am ET) news conference.

Chancellor Angela Merkel is due to meet her chief of staff Peter Altmaier, Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere and intelligence officials on Saturday to review the incident. She will make a statement at 1230 GMT, her office said.

The pistol-wielding attacker, identified by Munich police chief Hubertus Andrae as a dual national from Munich, was later found dead of a suspected self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Authorities said it was too early to say whether it was a terrorist attack but that the shooter was believed to have staged the attack alone, opening fire in a fast food restaurant before moving to the mall.

In addition to determining the motive, police will have to find out how the 18-year-old got the firearm used in the attack in a country whose gun control system is described by the U.S. Congress Library as being “among the most stringent in Europe.”

The gunman, whose body was found on a side street near the mall, was not identified but Andrae said he was not previously known to police.

Police commandos, armed with night vision equipment and dogs, raided an apartment in the Munich neighborhood of Maxvorstadt early on Saturday where the German newspaper Bild said the gunman lived with his parents.

1st Libya-Europen Oil & Gas Summit

Comments reflect the opinions of the visitor and not those of Libyan Express, its editorial board or staff.