Libya

UK Foreign Office Secretary: Britain Could have done more to save Libya from chaos

  • 31 May 2017 - 16:24
UK Foreign Office Secretary: Britain Could have done more to save Libya from chaos

The UK could have done more to prevent Libya’s descent into war and chaos, but was right to intervene against Muammar Gaddafi in 2011, UK Foreign Office Minister, Tobias Ellwood, has said. “We didn’t do it to try and transform Libya and do something else. We did it to support the...

Dutch woman missing in Libya’s capital

  • 31 May 2017 - 13:03
Dutch woman missing in Libya’s capital

A woman from Holland, Yvonne Snijter, is missing in Libya's capital Tripoli, according to numerous reports and calls for help from friends on social media. The woman was last seen on Friday in a cafe in the old town of the capital city of Tripoli. The Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs is...

Eastern Justice Ministry orders immediate release of Saif Al-Islam Gaddafi

  • 30 May 2017 - 21:01
Eastern Justice Ministry orders immediate release of Saif Al-Islam Gaddafi

The deputy justice minister of the eastern government of Abdullah Al-Thinni, Eissa Al-Saghir, said an immediate release of Saif Al-Islam Gaddafi must take an effect by force of the law. Al-Saghir urged Zintan-based Abu Bakir Al-Saddiq Brigade, which is protecting Moamar Gaddafi's son to let him...

UNHCR, IOM agree to increase support, expand operations in Libya

  • 30 May 2017 - 21:00
UNHCR, IOM agree to increase support, expand operations in Libya

The UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR), and the UN Migration Agency (IOM), on Tuesday presented their plans for expanding operations in Libya and enhancing their support to migrants, refugees, asylum seekers and Libyans affected by the ongoing conflict. The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees...

At least 30 immigrants drown off Libyan coast

  • 30 May 2017 - 16:00
At least 30 immigrants drown off Libyan coast

Migrants rescued from a rubber boat that left Libya last week said as many as 30 people were trampled or drowned during their voyage as this year's Mediterranean death toll climbed to more than 1,700, the U.N. said on Tuesday, Reuters reported. They arrived in Pozzallo, Italy, on Monday and said...

Canadian Alaradi family celebrates one year since the acquittal of their father

  • 30 May 2017 - 12:52
Canadian Alaradi family celebrates one year since the acquittal of their father

In August 2014 Canadian Salim Alaradi was abducted by United Arab Emirates State Security personnel and subjected to enforced disappearance, solitary confinement and torture in a secret prison before being transferred and arbitrarily detained in the Abu Dhabi’s AlWathba prison for a total of 642...

Son of Libyan Lockerbie bomber warns UK of Libyan militants’ threat

  • 30 May 2017 - 12:43
Son of Libyan Lockerbie bomber warns UK of Libyan militants’ threat

UK has itself to blame for the Manchester attack because it colluded with jihadists and left a power vacuum in Libya, according to the son of the Lockerbie bomber. Khaled al-Megrahi, the son of the man convicted of blowing up Pan Am Flight 103 over the Scottish village of Lockerbie in 1988, said...

Belhaj denies arrest by Turkish authorities

  • 29 May 2017 - 23:23
Belhaj denies arrest by Turkish authorities

The Chairman of the Watan Political Party in Libya, Abdel Hakim Belhaj, has denied being arrested by Turkish government authorities as circulated on social media and media outlets. "I am in Istanbul to be part of several meetings with Libyan diplomats and political stakeholders to find a way...

Egyptian Foreign Minister says Libyan militant camps pose threat to Egypt’s security

  • 29 May 2017 - 23:19
Egyptian Foreign Minister says Libyan militant camps pose threat to Egypt’s security

Militant training camps in Libya are a direct threat to Egypt's national security, Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry said on Monday, after Egyptian air strikes targeted the camps in eastern Libya in recent days, Reuters reported. Speaking at a news conference with Russian Foreign...

IOM programme of evacuating Nigerians from Libya goes on temporary halt

  • 29 May 2017 - 19:07
IOM programme of evacuating Nigerians from Libya goes on temporary halt

Almost 1,433 Nigerians, who were in migrants centers in Libya, have been evacuated between Dec. 15, 2016 and May 25, 2017, figures from the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) have shown. More than 8000 Nigerians are still stranded in Libya with most of them languishing in detention...