Tripoli Government fail to endorse U.N. deal

  • Libyan Express |
  • Monday 29 June 2015
UN Special Envoy to Libya, Bernardino Leon speaks during a press conference at the Palais des Congres of Skhirate 30 km south of Rabat, Wednesday, March 25, 2015. (AP Photo/Abdeljalil Bounhar)

UN Special Envoy to Libya, Bernardino Leon speaks during a press conference at the Palais des Congres of Skhirate 30 km south of Rabat, Wednesday, March 25, 2015. (AP Photo/Abdeljalil Bounhar)

Delegations from Libya’s rival parliaments headed home for consultations Monday after holding their first direct talks in months but failing to reach agreement on U.N. proposals for a united government.

U.N. envoy Bernardino Leon had pressed the rival delegations to endorse his proposals for a merged administration to tackle a growing jihadist presence in the North African nation, which has cast a shadow over its neighbours especially Tunisia.

But despite holding their first face-to-face negotiations since March, the opposing teams left the Moroccan talks venue without initializing the proposals as planned.

Plunged into chaos since the overthrow of Muammar Qaddafi’s regime in 2011, Libya has two parliaments — and two governments — vying for power, one in Tripoli and one in the eastern port city of Tobruk, which is recognized by the international community.

The delegation from the Tripoli parliament complained it had not been consulted by U.N. mediators about changes they had made to an initial draft.

“Three key points of the U.N. draft agreement had been modified without our consultation,” delegation spokesman Ashoh Ashraf told reporters.

Another delegation member, Mohamed Saleh al-Makhzoum, said they would consult fellow lawmakers in Tripoli about the latest proposals on Monday.

The U.N. envoy had said on Saturday that he was optimistic about the prospects for a deal. Despite the difficulties, “I am convinced that we will achieve a just solution,” Leon said.

A surge of Jihadist violence across the region, including the killing of 38 people, most of them British tourists, at a Tunisian beach resort on Friday, has prompted mounting international pressure for a deal.


Comments reflect the opinions of the visitor and not those of Libyan Express, its editorial board or staff.