Syrian opposition launches fresh assault on Damascus

  • Libyan Express + Agencies |
  • Tuesday 21 March 2017

Smoke billows following a reported air strike in rebel-held parts of Jobar on the eastern outskirts of Damascus, on March 19

BBC – Rebels have launched a new attack in east Damascus, two days after Syrian government forces repelled an initial assault.

A rebel official said they had retaken ground in the Jobar district which they gained on Sunday but then lost during fierce clashes.

But state media said the infiltration attempts had been “foiled” and that the military was bombing rebel positions.

On Monday, warplanes carried out dozens of strikes on nearby rebel-held areas.

Fighting since the weekend has left at least 38 pro-government fighters and 34 rebels and jihadists dead, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.


Comments reflect the opinions of the visitor and not those of Libyan Express, its editorial board or staff.