UN report blames Syrian government for chemical attack, Syria rejects

  • Libyan Express + Agencies |
  • Saturday 28 October 2017

Experts at a site of a chemical attack in Syria. (Photo: Internet)

The Syrian regime has rejected a report by experts from the United Nations and the chemical weapons watchdog blaming its government for a sarin nerve gas attack that killed over 90 people last spring.

In a statement Saturday, the Syrian regime said the report was a result of US instructions to exert more political pressure on Syria, describing it as a “forgery.”

“This report and the one that preceded it are falsifications of the truth,” said the statement.

The attack in the Syrian town of Khan Sheikhoun in April sparked outrage around the world and a U.S. strike days later on the Shayrat air base, from which Washington said the attack had been launched. Syria’s government has denied involvement.

But the investigators’ new report says experts are “confident” Damascus was behind the strike.

1st Libya-Europen Oil & Gas Summit

Comments reflect the opinions of the visitor and not those of Libyan Express, its editorial board or staff.