Canada confirms one citizen is taken as a hostage in Libya

07

Canada confirmed on Sunday it has become aware of a citizen taken hostage in Libya and is “diligently pursuing all appropriate channels to obtain more information.”

Libyan authorities said last week a Canadian and two Italians had been kidnapped in the country’s southwestern desert, possibly by a criminal gang. The Canadian government then called the matter “unconfirmed.”

On Sunday, Global Affairs Canada, the country’s foreign department, called the kidnapping “troubling,” but declined to provide more details.

“The Government of Canada will not comment or release any information which may compromise ongoing efforts to secure their release or endanger the safety of Canadian citizens,” a spokeswoman said in an email.

The three victims, who were working on airport projects, were abducted between the towns of Ghat and Tahala, near the border with Algeria, early last Monday, according to Ghat’s mayor Gomani Mohamad Saleh.

It is not immediately clear who was responsible or what the hostages’ current circumstances are.

Numerous criminal and armed groups are active in Libya’s vast southern desert, and al Qaeda-linked Islamist militants have long had a presence across the border between Libya and Algeria.

The views expressed in Op-Ed pieces are those of the author and do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of Libyan Express.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to oped@libyanexpress.com. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
Azara Media Azara Media
You might also like

Submit a Correction

For: Canada confirms one citizen is taken as a hostage in Libya

Your suggestion have been successfully submitted

There was an error while trying to send your request. Please try again.

Libyan Express will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.