British police want to interrogate Manchester bomber’s brother in Libya
Manchester suicide bomber, Salman Abedi, did not act alone, police suspect, and detectives are waiting to speak to his brother in Libya.
Detective Chief Superintendent Russ Jackson, head of the North West Counter Terrorism Unit, said officers were “engaged” with the authorities in the war-torn country, where Salman’s brother, Hashem, is currently being held.
Mr Jackson also said that, while detectives did not now think Abedi was part of a large network, they did suspect the involvement of others in the attack, which had been planned for months. He said he did not rule out further arrests.
Abedi killed 22 people when he detonated his bomb in the foyer of Manchester Arena at the end of a concert by the US star Ariane Grande on May 22.
Mr Jackson said: “We do believe that there are other people potentially involved in this. This is a live criminal investigation where central to it are 22 murdered people, with grieving families.”
He refused to say whether British police had travelled to Libya.
Hashem, was arrested in Libya shortly after the explosion, along with his father, Ramadan. The family is originally from Libya, but fled during Colonel Muammar Gaddafi’s dictatorship, with the father returning to fight with opposition forces when the uprising began in 2011.
Abedi’s older brother, Ismail, was among more than a dozen people held and questioned by police in the UK before being released without charge.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- Five Western countries issue arrest warrants for suspects in the death of migrants in Libya - November 29, 2022
- HoR vows more ‘friendly consensus’ with HCS - November 29, 2022
- Libya’s Mufti: human rights is now a smokescreen to destroy countries - November 28, 2022