Egyptian MP rejects tougher penalties on FGM practitioners, says half Egyptian males “impotent”
An Egyptian MP has stirred controversy after rejecting tougher penalties for those who force women into genital mutilation (FGM), saying half of the country’s men “are impotent”.
Parliament last week approved longer jail terms for those carrying out FGM, following the death of a teenage girl.
MP Ilhami Agina responded by saying FGM was needed in order to reduce women’s sexual appetite, to match Egypt’s men.
The procedure is still widespread in Egypt despite being illegal since 2008.
It involves the partial or full removal of the external sex organs, ostensibly to control women’s sexuality.
“This is a scientific fact based on research. Fifty per cent of Egyptian men are sexually impotent. This is a disease,” Mr Agina said in a TV interview.
“One proof is the spread of imported and local sexual stimulants in the market. Egypt is one of the largest importing countries.”
He was quoted by other Egyptian media as saying the procedure was needed so women would “reduce their sexual desires” to match that of Egypt’s “sexually weak” men.
“If we stop FGM, we will need strong men and we don’t have men of that sort.”
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to email@example.com. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- A new era for gender-based violence response in Libya - September 20, 2021
- HSC: We are keen on holding the elections on time - September 19, 2021
- Libya calls for return of 1 million Egyptian workers - September 19, 2021