Johnny Depp financially troubled as he splashes out $2m a month
BBC – Johnny Depp’s financial troubles are caused by a lavish $2m-a-month lifestyle, say the business managers he is suing for mismanaging his earnings.
They claim he spent more than $75m (£59.6m) on 14 homes and $3m (£2.4m) blasting author Hunter S Thompson’s ashes out of a cannon.
The Management Group are countersuing Depp after the Pirates of the Caribbean actor sued them for $25m (£20m).
Depp, they claim, is “fully responsible for any financial turmoil” he faces.
“He has refused to live within his means, despite… repeated warnings about his financial condition,” their countersuit claims.
Their legal action, obtained by the Deadline website, also accuses the actor of spending:
- $18m (£14.3m) on an 150 foot (45 metre) yacht
- $4m (£3.2m) on a failed record label
- $3m (£2.4m) to blast Hunter S Thompson’s ashes out of a cannon
- $300,000 (£238,600) a month to maintain a staff of 40 people
- $200,000 (£159,000) a month on private planes
- $150,000 (£119,330) a month on round-the-clock security
- $30,000 (£23,800) a month on buying and importing wine
He also needed 12 storage facilities to house his collection of Hollywood memorabilia, they allege.
Last month, Depp claimed The Management Group owed him more than $25m.
His lawsuit also alleges the company failed to file his taxes on time, costing him $5.7m (£4.5m) in penalties.
Depp’s latest legal tussle comes in the wake of his divorce to Amber Heard, which was finalised in January after months of wrangling.
The 53-year-old will be seen later this year as Captain Jack Sparrow in Pirates of the Caribbean: Salazar’s Revenge.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- UNSMIL denies meeting between Stephanie Williams and Wagner’s officials - January 20, 2022
- Joe Biden: Russia will invade Ukraine - January 20, 2022
- Al-Gotrani, three ministers to meet in Moscow next week - January 16, 2022