British Ambassador applauds NOC’s stance regarding reopening oil ports
The British Ambassador to Libya, Peter Millette, has hailed the stance taken by the Tripoli-based National Oil Corporation (NOC) regarding the unconditioned reopening of oil ports that have been shut by the Ibrahim Jodran-led Petroleum Facilities Guard forces since 2013.
Millette tweeted on Monday that the NOC’s stance is a good news, there is a real chance for Libya to go past the current dilemma and allow the oil to be flowing freely.
In a statement sent to journalists on Sunday, the NOC said the U.N.-backed Government of National Accord (GNA) had released money that would allow it to increase production by 150,000 barrels per day (bpd) within two weeks. The NOC said it aims to gradually increase output to 900,000 bpd by the end of the year.
Earlier last week, the deal had been questioned by National Oil Corporation (NOC) Chairman Mustafa Sanalla, who had warned against rewarding groups that shut down production and complained that the NOC lacked funds for its own operating budget.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- A new era for gender-based violence response in Libya - September 20, 2021
- HSC: We are keen on holding the elections on time - September 19, 2021
- Libya calls for return of 1 million Egyptian workers - September 19, 2021