Tripoli’s only functional airport resumes flights as Haftar’s spokesman vows more airstrikes tonight
The administration of the Mitiga Airport in Tripoli said Sunday that the only functional airport in the Libyan capital has reopened after it was temporarily shut down due to an air strike in the city by Khalifa Haftar’s Air Force fighter jets.
Mitiga airport, which was a former military airbase, was hit by an airstrike on April 8 and has since only operated between 5 pm and 8 am local time.
In the meantime, the spokesman for Haftar’s forces Ahmed Al-Mismari said in a press conference on Sunday that their Air Force jets will carry out more airstrikes on “locations of the enemy in Tripoli Sunday night,” describing Saturday’s air attacks as very successful.
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), at least 227 people have been killed and 1,128 injured since the launch of Haftar’s offensive.
More than 30,000 people have been displaced since the start of the fighting earlier this month, said WHO.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to email@example.com. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- Libyan FM, UN official discuss ‘Libya Stability Initiative’ - October 20, 2021
- L’Humanité accused Morocco of using “Pegasus” to monitor individuals and governments - October 20, 2021
- Indian woman gives birth at age of 70, may be oldest to ever give birth - October 20, 2021