Eastern forces already devised plan to control Tripoli, says spokesman

  • Libyan Express |
  • Tuesday 11 July 2017

The spokesman of the eastern forces of Operation Dignity led by Khalifa Haftar, Ahmed Al-Mismary

The spokesman of the eastern forces of Operation Dignity led by Khalifa Haftar, Ahmed Al-Mismary, revealed on Monday that they had already placed military tactics for the control of Libya’s capital, Tripoli, and all of the western region.

“We are going to control the western region and its ports in order to end the smuggling of people and end the illegal immigration dilemma.” Al-Mismary explained.

He added that the General Command of their forces led by Haftar will coordinate with the Italian government regarding 2007 agreement about training Libya’s coastguards to be able to end the illegal immigration phenomenon as well as human trafficking.

“Our plan also aims to put an end to those who are behind human trafficking and illegal immigration in western Libya’s ports.” Al-Mismary added.

He explained that their forces are in control of 90% of Libya including east Libya and Fezzan in Libya’s south, adding that their is to control western Tripoli and Tripoli itself and eliminate the threat of illegal immigration once and for all.

“It is not going to be a military battle. Our forces won’t enter Tripoli by force and by a new war, but rather our forces will have their control on the capital and western Libya as part of a plan to seize control of all Libyan cities and districts.” Al-Mismary indicated.

He added that they have not set a date for the start of the plan.

“We have given a six-month deadline for the Government of National Accord led by Fayez Al-Serraj in order to act and solve the problem of the Libyan people across the whole country.” Al-Mismary said, adding that if not, the “Libyan army forces” will act.


Comments reflect the opinions of the visitor and not those of Libyan Express, its editorial board or staff.