Gadhafi’s son announced a political settlement to the conflict in Libya
Saif Al-Islam Gaddafi has announced a political initiative with two proposals to get the country out of its crisis, as he put it.
The first proposal provides that a neutral party sets urgent legal and executive arrangements for non-exclusive parliamentary and presidential elections in which everyone participates, without exclusion, and leaves the decision to the Libyan people to choose.
In his second proposal, Gaddafi calls on controversial candidates to withdraw from the presidential elections collectively without exception, saying that this would be “a last attempt to save the country and find a peaceful solution to its crisis.”
“All those in the positions are holding on to power, for the.. benefits they obtained as a result of their presence in the sovereign positions.. this has become clear to the Libyans and the international community.” He added.
He said the situation in Libya is getting worse every day, and the door is open to all possibilities as everyone “refuses to make concessions,” warning that the country will be facing major and grave events.
The son and one-time heir apparent of the late dictator Muammar Gadafi was disqualified from running for the presidential elections in December last year, on the backdrop of his previous convictions.
Saif Al-Islam had been sentenced to death by a Tripoli court in 2015 for using violence against protesters in the 2011 uprising against his father. He is also wanted by the International Criminal Court on charges of crimes against humanity.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to email@example.com. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- SSA seizes stolen clothes and captures four people in Tripoli - March 17, 2023
- Bathily says Haftar supports my political efforts - March 15, 2023
- Al-Saiti meets with Saif Gaddafi - March 15, 2023