Khalifa Haftar orders mobilization of troops “to liberate Tripoli”
The leader of the Operation Dignity in the east that is backed by the Tobruk-based House of Representatives, Khalifa Haftar, has called on his followers from all kinds of military ranks and fighters to prepare for the attack on Tripoli.
“I hereby urge all of the military officials and fighters to prepare for the Liberation of Tripoli.” He was cited as saying.
The spokesman of the Operation Dignity, Ahmed Al-Mesmari, said on his Facebook page Wednesday that Haftar demands all military ranks and officials in the western region to be ready for the “liberation of the capital.”
Al-Mesmari gave no further details about the timing of the liberation battle as he called it nor about the identities or numbers of fighters and military ranks he was talking to.
Haftar started Dignity Operation in the east in May, 2014 and since then he has not yet managed to “liberate” Benghazi from what he calls “terrorists.”
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- Libyans should vote to determine their future, says President Saied - May 21, 2023
- Ukraine wins access to F-16s after Zelensky meets with G7 leaders - May 21, 2023
- Al-Ahly Tripoli defeats Al-Nahda in ACCC qualifiers - May 11, 2023