Saudi-led air attacks on Yemen’s Saada kill over 29 children on a bus
Over 29 children have been killed and 30 wounded in a Saudi-led coalition air strike in Yemen, the International Committee of the Red Cross says.
The children were travelling on a bus that was hit at a market in Dahyan, in the northern province of Saada, BBC reported.
The health ministry run by the rebel Houthi movement said put the death toll at 43, and said 61 people were wounded.
The coalition, which is backing Yemen’s government in a war with the Houthis, said its actions were “legitimate”.
It insists it never deliberately targets civilians, but human rights groups have accused it of bombing markets, schools, hospitals and residential areas, the BBC added.
Yemeni tribal elders told the Associated Press that the bus was hit as it passed through Dahyan market and that it was transporting local civilians, including many school children.
The charity Save the Children said it had been told by its staff that the children were on their way back to school from a picnic when the driver of their bus stopped to get a drink, according to the BBC.
The vehicle was stationary when the attack happened, it added.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- 331 migrants intercepted and returned to Libya, says IOM - January 31, 2023
- Supreme Court: Derregia must return to his former LIA position - January 31, 2023
- Libya’s Dar al-Ifta calls for boycott of Dutch, Swedish products - January 29, 2023