70 migrants feared dead after boat capsizes off western town of Zuwara

Migrant ship capsize in the Mediterranean. [Photo: AFP]
A boat crowed with dozens of migrants capsized off Libya, and at least 17 people were presumed dead, a U.N. migration official said Monday. It was the latest disaster in the Mediterranean Sea involving migrants seeking a better life in Europe.

The accident happened Sunday night off the western town of Zuwara, said Safa Msehli, a spokeswoman for the International Organisation for Migration.

She said around 70 migrants were on the rubber boat and the Libyan coast guard managed to rescue 51 Egyptians. One body was recovered and at least 16 other migrants were missing and assumed to have drowned, Msehli said.

The capsizing was the latest sea disaster off the Libyan coast involving Europe-bound migrants. Around 80 migrants were presumed dead in two separate shipwrecks off Libya last month.

There has been a spike in crossings and attempted crossings from Libya in recent months. Amnesty International has said that in the first six months of this year, more than 7,000 people intercepted at sea were forcibly returned to detention camps in Libya.

The deadliest shipwreck so far this year took place April 22 off Libya, when 130 people drowned despite the ship sending multiple distress calls.

The views expressed in Op-Ed pieces are those of the author and do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of Libyan Express.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to oped@libyanexpress.com. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
Azara Media Azara Media
You might also like

Submit a Correction

For: 70 migrants feared dead after boat capsizes off western town of Zuwara

Your suggestion have been successfully submitted

There was an error while trying to send your request. Please try again.

Libyan Express will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.