US kills 17 IS militants in airstrike on Libya desert
The US military conducted airstrikes against ISIS fighters in Libya on Friday, the first time it has struck targets in Libya since Donald Trump became President.
“In coordination with Libya’s Government of National Accord and aligned forces, U.S. forces conducted six precision airstrikes in Libya against an ISIS desert camp on Friday,” US Africa Command which oversees US troops in the region, told CNN in a statement.
The strikes killed 17 ISIS militants and destroyed three vehicles at the camp, located about 150 miles southeast of Sirte, the statement added.
“The camp was used by ISIS to move fighters in and out of the country; stockpile weapons and equipment; and to plot and conduct attacks,” Africa Command said in a later statement, adding that ISIS operatives in Libya have “been connected to multiple attacks across Europe.”
The strikes were carried out by unmanned aircraft, US military officials told CNN. Trump approved the operation, signing off on it in the last week, one of the officials said
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- Cyprus brings UN to check mystery plane suspected of carrying weapons to Libya - October 17, 2021
- Libyan NGO calls for suing Haftar’s forces - October 17, 2021
- Top diplomats of Iran, China hold talks on nuclear deal - October 17, 2021