26 Egyptian army personnel killed in “militants attack” in North Sinai

At least 40 militants were killed, and six of their vehicles destroyed

At least 26 military personnel were reportedly killed or injured on Friday in what the Egyptian army described as a “failed militant attack” in Egypt’s North Sinai province, Anadolu Agency reported.

“Law enforcement forces in northern Sinai succeeded in foiling a terrorist attack carried out by extremist elements,” read an army statement released midday Friday, according to Anadolu Agency.

According to the army, at least 40 militants were killed — and six of their vehicles destroyed — after launching an attack on an army position in North Sinai.

The attackers did, however, manage to detonate a car bomb near an army checkpoint, according to the statement, leaving at least 26 security personnel either dead or injured, Anadolu Agency reported.

A local security source told Anadolu Agency earlier that a senior army officer and nine army conscripts had been killed in the car bomb attack.

“Unidentified gunmen attacked a military barricade in the village of Al-Barth in the city of Rafah,” the source, requesting anonymity as he was not authorized to speak to media, said, according to Anadolu Agency.

The views expressed in Op-Ed pieces are those of the author and do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of Libyan Express.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to oped@libyanexpress.com. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
Azara Media Azara Media
You might also like

Submit a Correction

For: 26 Egyptian army personnel killed in “militants attack” in North Sinai

Your suggestion have been successfully submitted

There was an error while trying to send your request. Please try again.

Libyan Express will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.