At least one killed in unknown airstrikes on southern Libya
An unknown warplane on Wednesday targeted the southern Libyan city of Ubari, some 1,100 km south of the capital Tripoli, killing at least one person, according to a security source.
“At 20:30 local time (18:30 GMT), an airstrike targeted a house in al-Shareb neighborhood in the city of Ubari, killing at least one person who was in the house at the time of the strike,” an official source of Ubari joint security chamber told reporters.
“The attack was carried out by an unidentified air force. A plane was clearly heard carrying out continuous surveys since noon, before a huge explosion was heard,” said the source, speaking to Xinhua, requesting anonymity for security reasons.
The source also told the Chinese news agency that the airstrike was likely carried out by the U.S. air force, confirming that the Libyan air force is not responsible for the airstrike “due to a lack of modern warplanes.”
According to the source, Ubari and its surrounding areas had witnessed unidentified airstrikes previously, and the United States claimed responsibility for strikes against members and leaders of terrorist groups.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- Libya’s HCS invites applicants for key state roles - December 31, 2023
- UK calls on Iran to prevent escalation in Israel-Hamas conflict - November 05, 2023
- Libyan Interior Minister: Immigrant shelter costs a fortune - November 05, 2023