Bodies of Egyptian Copts beheaded by IS in Sirte found
The bodies of 21 Egyptian Christians killed by Islamic State in its former Libyan stronghold of Sirte have been recovered, the attorney general’s office said on Friday.
The bodies were found in the same orange jumpsuits the victims were wearing when they were filmed being killed in the coastal city in February 2015, according to a statement provided to Libya’s Al-Ahrar TV channel.
Sadiq al-Sour, the head of investigations for the attorney general’s office, said last week that the area where the bodies were buried had been identified after a captured commander gave details of its whereabouts.
Islamic State took control of Sirte in 2015 and lost the city late last year to local forces backed by US air strikes.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- PM Dbeibah outlines government plans to support December 24 election - October 22, 2021
- Israeli settlers destroy 300 olive trees in Ramallah - October 22, 2021
- Thierry Henry: Mohamed Salah is not the world’s best player right now - October 22, 2021