France to host Haftar for Libya ceasefire talks
France’s President Emmanuel Macron is set to meet Libya’s Khalifa Haftar to push for a ceasefire and resume peace talks.
Macron last week called for a ceasefire in the battle for Libya’s capital Tripoli after meeting UN-recognised Libyan Head of the Presidential Council Fayez Al-Sirraj.
“The situation in Libya is extremely worrying because the proposed UN roadmap to both parties – and which almost reached a positive conclusion – has today failed on the one hand because of Field Marshal Haftar’s initiative and Sarraj’s non-initiative,” Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian told legislators.
Le Drian added that it’s for this reason that Macron wanted to meet one and the other to support the UN initiative.
The French presidency said there was no meeting planned at this stage.
The GNA has previously rejected any ceasefire unless Haftar pulls his troops back to the areas they held before April 04, in the south and east of the country.
The weeks of fighting have killed more than 430 people and wounded at least 2,110 others, while displacing more than 55,000, the World Health Organization said.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to email@example.com. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- Haftar to fly to the US with family, pretending it’s a Libyan official visit - September 13, 2021
- Haftar hires ex-Clinton aide, ex-Republican leader to lobby Washington for Libya elections’ run - September 09, 2021
- Al-Saadi Gaddafi, late dictator’s son, released from Libyan prison - September 06, 2021