IOM programme of evacuating Nigerians from Libya goes on temporary halt
Almost 1,433 Nigerians, who were in migrants centers in Libya, have been evacuated between Dec. 15, 2016 and May 25, 2017, figures from the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) have shown.
More than 8000 Nigerians are still stranded in Libya with most of them languishing in detention facilities across Libya waiting to be evacuated, according to the Daily Trust website.
The last set of 164 returnees arrived at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA) in Lagos on Thursday, last week comprising 97 males, 53 males, 11 children and three infants.
The Director-General of NEMA, Alhaji Mustapha Maihaja, who was represented by the South West Zonal Coordinator of NEMA, Sulaiman Abdullahi, said the collaborative efforts of NEMA and the International Organization of Migration (IOM) succeeded in repatriating the stranded Nigerians.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to email@example.com. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- 331 migrants intercepted and returned to Libya, says IOM - January 31, 2023
- Supreme Court: Derregia must return to his former LIA position - January 31, 2023
- Libya’s Dar al-Ifta calls for boycott of Dutch, Swedish products - January 29, 2023