Italian probe arrives in Libya’s Ghat to investigate abduction of its nationals
Libyan officials say a team of five Italian investigators has arrived in a town near the Algerian border where two Italians and a Canadian were abducted at gunpoint earlier this week.
Hassan Osman Eissa of the Ghat municipal council says the team met local authorities Thursday, adding that the kidnappings were not, to his knowledge, the work of al-Qaida as some reports stated, but rather “a localgroup of outlaws.”
Libyan authorities say they are searching the area after the foreigners were kidnapped Monday off a nearby highway in Libya’s southwestern desert.
Libya slid into chaos following the 2011 uprising that toppled and killed longtime dictator Moammar Gaddafi. Three rival governments are now fighting for power despite the announcement of the UN-backed Government of National Accord as the sole legitimate one.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- Tripolitania Society says 6+6 committee’s outcomes are arbitrary - June 09, 2023
- Minister of Labour reaffirms government’s social justice efforts - June 09, 2023
- Meloni: Libya remains a strategic partner for Italy - June 08, 2023