Libya elders urge elections boycott over Seif al-Islam Gaddafi presidential bid
Elders from several cities called for a boycott of presidential elections and protesters shut voting stations in western Libya on Monday after Gaddafi’s son registered to run.
Seif al-Islam Gaddafi, whose whereabouts have been secret for years, on Sunday became the first heavyweight candidate to sign up for the December 24 poll.
But an influential council of elders from Misurata, called for an election boycott.
The council rejects “the candidacy of those who used excessive force against the Libyan people’s uprising and who are the target of arrest warrants from Libyan courts and the International Criminal Court”, it said in a statement.
It urged “free patriots” to protest against the election taking place before a constitutional basis was agreed.
A member of the electoral commission, the HNEC, told AFP that “residents protesting at the candidacy of Seif al-Islam Gaddaf in presidential elections closed down several polling stations” in the west.
The official, who asked not to be named, said there had been no violence and voting stations had not been damaged.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- Tripolitania Society says 6+6 committee’s outcomes are arbitrary - June 09, 2023
- Minister of Labour reaffirms government’s social justice efforts - June 09, 2023
- Meloni: Libya remains a strategic partner for Italy - June 08, 2023