Libyan FM: Deal reached to evacuate mercenaries
Some foreign fighters have left Libya as the government tries to gather international assistance to withdraw more of those remaining in the country, Foreign Minister Najla Mangoush said Sunday.
“The reports are correct. There is a very modest start,” Mangoush said at a news conference in Kuwait when asked whether some foreign fighters had been removed.
“We are still seeking a larger and comprehensive organisation for the exit of mercenaries,” she said.
Foreign mercenaries and arms have poured into the country since Haftar launched his offensive, with Russia and the UAE serving as the putschist general’s top suppliers. According to the U.N., there are currently 20,000 foreign forces and/or mercenaries left in Libya.
The Russian Wagner Group, which is owned by businessperson Yevgeny Prigozhin, a figure close to Russian President Vladimir Putin, is known as one of the main groups that sent mercenaries to fight in Libya.
Most of the foreign forces are concentrated around Sirte at Jufra airbase held by Haftar’s forces 500 kilometers (300 miles) south of Tripoli and further west in al-Watiya.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- Five Western countries issue arrest warrants for suspects in the death of migrants in Libya - November 29, 2022
- HoR vows more ‘friendly consensus’ with HCS - November 29, 2022
- Libya’s Mufti: human rights is now a smokescreen to destroy countries - November 28, 2022