Libya’s coastguards intercept 38 migrants
The Libyan coast guard says that it has intercepted about four dozen Europe-bound migrants off the Mediterranean coast.
The coast guard said Wednesday it had taken the migrants to Tajoura detention center that was bombed earlier this month by Khalifa Haftar’s forces.
Libyan Navy spokesman Ayoub Qassim said a rubber boat carrying 38 migrants, mostly Egyptians, was stopped Tuesday off the coast some 65 kilometers (40 miles) east of the capital, Tripoli.
Qassim added that the migrants were transferred to the Tajoura detention center.
An airstrike hit the center on July 03, killing more than 50 people and injuring over 130 others.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- Newly appointed UN envoy to Libya invited to Moscow - January 27, 2021
- Conte resigns amid Coronavirus crisis - January 27, 2021
- Railway network connecting Egypt and Libya to be built by 2024 - January 27, 2021