Libya’s rival officials conclude talks without deal
Rival Libyan officials wrapped up weeklong talks in the Egyptian capital without an agreement on constitutional arrangements for elections, the United Nations said Tuesday
Officials from Tripoli and Tobruk-based administrations ended weeklong discussions in the Egyptian capital Cairo without a deal on constitutional arrangements for elections, according to a statement by the United Nations.
Twelve lawmakers from the parliament and 12 from the High Council of State, took part in the U.N.-brokered talks that concluded Monday in Cairo.
The U.N. special adviser on Libya, Stephanie Williams, said the officials agreed to reconvene next month after the Islamic holiday of Eid al-Fitr, which marks the end of Ramadan.
Williams said the U.N. was working to seize the consensus reached earlier this year between the two chambers with the aim of reaching an agreement on a constitutional and legislative framework for parliamentary and presidential elections.
Libya failed to hold its first presidential elections on Dec. 24 under a United Nations-led reconciliation effort.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- Italy will give Libya five boats to control the migrants - February 04, 2023
- Dbeibeh’s government is not assisting us in the “Abu Agila” case, says his nephew - February 04, 2023
- Al-Swehli: Bouznika’s agreement to modify sovereign positions is declared unconstitutional - February 03, 2023