More bodies found in mass grave in Libya’s Sirte, former ISIS stronghold
Emergency workers on Sunday uncovered another 35 bodies at a mass grave near Libya’s Sirte, authorities said, taking to 110 the total number of remains retrieved from the site.
The municipal council in the former jihadist stronghold of Sirte initially said 75 bodies had been found in an agricultural area some 15 kilometres (less than 10 miles) west of the city.
On Sunday council spokesman Mohamad al-Amial said in total “110 bodies were uncovered in the mass grave” by the Libyan Red Crescent in the Al-Daheir area.
“Personal possessions and mobile phones were found next to the bodies,” he added.
The first remains found at the site, also removed by the Red Crescent, are to undergo DNA testing by Libyan authorities.
“The prosecutor’s office told us that it was difficult to identify the bodies therefore it will take time and DNA tests,” Amial said.