Philippine President might send frigate to off Libya’s waters to save abducted nationals

  • Libyan Express + Agencies |
  • Saturday 4 August 2018

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said his country is “open for business” after upending traditional alliances by insulting the US and making overtures to China. (KAZUHIRO NOGI/AFP/GETTY IMAGES)

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said on Friday he might send the navy’s most modern frigate to waters off Libya in a bid to “save” three Filipinos and a South Korean kidnapped last month from a water plant in the north African country.

South Korea has redirected a vessel taking part in anti-piracy operations in the Gulf of Aden to help in the release of the four men taken almost a month ago, according to news agency Yonhap.

Duterte said he might do the same and would raise the issue next week at a regular meeting of his top military and police commanders.

“If they start hurting those three Filipinos, I will bring a frigate there, I am not kidding,” he said in a speech.

The men were taken near Ishwirif by an unknown armed group.

Video footage appeared on social media this week of the four men confirming their names and nationalities and appealing to their presidents for help.

Azara Media

Comments reflect the opinions of the visitor and not those of Libyan Express, its editorial board or staff.