Pro-Haftar TV channel airs IS radical’s confession saying Tunisian journalists missing in Libya were killed
The two Tunisian journalists who went missing in 2014 were killed by IS militants in Derna, said a suspected IS radical on pro-Khalifa Haftar’s Operation Dignity TV channel, Libya Al-Hadath.
IS had claimed in January 2015 to have executed blogger Sofiene Chourabi and photographer Nadhir Ktari but later the same year the Tunisian government said it had evidence the pair were still alive, according to AFP.
The IS militants, named as Abderrazek Nassef Abderrazek Ali, who allegedly was arrested by Operation Dignity forces, told the the TV channel that he had witnessed the two journalists being executed in a forest outside the eastern town of Derna, which was then under IS control.
“The two journalists had been captured at an IS roadblock between the towns of Ajdabiya and Labraq and then taken to Derna.” He informed the TV channel, adding that an IS court had ordered them killed on the basis of testimony from Tunisian IS militants.
The parents and relatives of the two journalists conducted a long campaign for information from the Tunisian government on the fate of their loved ones and still had no clue as to where they are held in Libya.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to email@example.com. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- UK calls on Iran to prevent escalation in Israel-Hamas conflict - November 05, 2023
- Libyan Interior Minister: Immigrant shelter costs a fortune - November 05, 2023
- Libya’s political crisis can only be resolved through elections, says Russian ambassador - November 05, 2023