UN denounces Syria’s Homs suicide attacks, say they derail Geneva talks
UN Syria envoy Staffan de Mistura considers a “horrific terrorist attack” in the Syrian city of Homs on Saturday an attempt to derail the peace talks taking place in Geneva, his office said in an emailed statement.
“Spoilers are expected, and should continue to be expected, to try to influence the proceedings of the talks. It is in the interest of all parties who are against terrorism and are committed to a political process in Syria not to allow these attempts to succeed,” the statement said.
Suicide bombers stormed two Syrian security offices in Homs on Saturday, killing dozens with gunfire and explosions, including a senior officer, and prompting airstrikes against the last rebel-held enclave in the western city.
The jihadist rebel alliance Tahrir al-Sham said in a social media post that five suicide bombers had carried out the attack, which it celebrated with the words “thanks be to God,” but stopped short of explicitly claiming responsibility.
Although the government of President Bashar al-Assad has controlled most of Homs since 2014, rebels still control its al-Waer district, which warplanes bombed on Saturday, said the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, wounding 50.
The attack comes as government and opposition delegations join peace talks in Geneva sponsored by the United Nations. Tahrir al-Sham opposes the talks and has fought with factions that are represented there.
Saturday’s jihadist assault in Homs began with clashes near a branch of military security in al-Mohata district and a branch of state security in al-Ghouta district before suicide bombers struck in both locations, state media reported.
The head of military security, Gen. Hassan Daaboul, was killed along with 29 others in al-Mohata, while another 12 people were killed in al-Ghouta, the Observatory said. State media gave a lower figure of 32 people killed.
“Five suicide bombers attacked two branches of state security and military security in Homs… thanks be to God,” Tahrir al-Sham said in a statement on the Telegram social network.
Tahrir al-Sham was formed earlier this year from several groups including Jabhat Fateh al-Sham, which was formerly known as the Nusra Front and was al Qaeda’s Syrian branch until it broke formal allegiance to the global jihadist movement in 2016.
Since it was formed, Tahrir al-Sham has fought other rebel groups, including some that fight under the banner of the Free Syrian Army, as well as a faction linked to Islamic State, in northwest Syria. It was critical of FSA groups for taking part in peace talks.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to email@example.com. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- PM says Libya’s military institution remains divided - May 06, 2021
- British academic sues UAE officials over assault claims - May 06, 2021
- Study: Two doses of Pfizer Covid vaccine provides 95% protection - May 06, 2021