Van rams into crowds in Barcelona’s Las Ramblas area, one killed, over 32 injured
At least one person died and 32 were injured – 10 of them seriously – after a van ploughed into crowds in Barcelona’s famous Las Ramblas tourist area, police and local officials say, the BBC reported.
The vehicle sped along the pedestrian area, mowing down people and sending others fleeing for cover. Police are treating the incident as terrorism, the BBC added. \
Later they said a man had been arrested in connection with the attack, according to the BBC.
Witnesses said the van had deliberately targeted people before stopping. Spanish media reports said the driver of the vehicle – a white Fiat that had been rented in the city – fled on foot, the BBC reported.
Other unconfirmed reports say the death toll is as high as 13.
Local authorities in the small town of Vic in Catalonia say police have cordoned off the area and are inspecting another van amid suggestions it may have been used as a getaway vehicle, it added.
The attack happened at the height of the season in one of Europe’s top tourist destinations. Vehicles have been used to ram into crowds in a series of attacks across Europe since July last year.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to email@example.com. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- PM Dbeibah outlines government plans to support December 24 election - October 22, 2021
- Israeli settlers destroy 300 olive trees in Ramallah - October 22, 2021
- Thierry Henry: Mohamed Salah is not the world’s best player right now - October 22, 2021