Syria: Two ISIS bomb attacks on Tartus and Jableh kill nearly 70

  • Libyan Express |
  • Monday 23 May 2016

1-843670

Syrian state TV said Monday that more than 65 people had been killed in multiple attacks in the coastal cities of Tartus and Jableh, strongholds of President Bashar Assad.

The TV report Monday said at least one suicide bomber on foot followed by a car bomber attacked a packed bus station in Tartus. Syrian officials said at least 33 were killed in the attack, and many more injured.

The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) claimed responsibility for the attacks in a statement posted online, saying they targeted members of the minority Alawite sect of Shiite Islam, to which Assad himself belongs.

Separately, Syria news agency SANA said three rockets were launched into Jableh, which lies 15 miles south of Latakia city, landing in a bus station, near the town’s entrance.


Comments reflect the opinions of the visitor and not those of Libyan Express, its editorial board or staff.