33% less migrants arrived to Italy in 2017
The number of migrants crossing the Mediterranean to reach Italy has fallen 33% in 2017 compared to last year.
According to the Italian news agency ANSA, Interior Minister Marco Minniti said on Wednesday that the number of migrants has fallen 33% this year compared to last year despite a slight rise in arrivals from Tunisia and Algeria this summer.
This comes after UNHCR announced on Friday the evacuation of 162 highly vulnerable refugees from Libya to Italy, including unaccompanied children and women who had been held captive for extended periods of time.
Arrivals from Libya have been virtually wiped out after the Libyan coast guard took over patrolling the coast of Libya but not without a growing accusations of mishandling and mistreatment of rescued migrants by various NGOs.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to email@example.com. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- Tripolitania Society says 6+6 committee’s outcomes are arbitrary - June 09, 2023
- Minister of Labour reaffirms government’s social justice efforts - June 09, 2023
- Meloni: Libya remains a strategic partner for Italy - June 08, 2023