50 illegal migrants wounded as they staged protest in Libyan detention center
Over 50 migrants were reportedly injured after they had staged a protest that was suppressed inside a detention centre in Tripoli, the United Nations said on Friday.
The protest had been “driven by frustration and anxiety” as the migrants had been held for months “in extremely dire conditions,” the U.N. refugee agency UNHCR said.
“Around 50 people were reportedly injured when the authorities sought to suppress the protest. Two individuals were badly injured and transferred to Abu Salim hospital,” a UNHCR statement said, without giving more details.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to email@example.com. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- Haftar to fly to the US with family, pretending it’s a Libyan official visit - September 13, 2021
- Haftar hires ex-Clinton aide, ex-Republican leader to lobby Washington for Libya elections’ run - September 09, 2021
- Al-Saadi Gaddafi, late dictator’s son, released from Libyan prison - September 06, 2021