65 migrants drowned trying to reach Europe

More than 330 migrants rescued by Italian coast guard and other European vessels have already disembarked at Sicilian ports, Italian media reported. [Photo:Archive]
Tens of illegal migrants trying to reach Europe drowned in the Mediterranean on Friday and 100 more were sent back to Libya, the United Nations said.

This happened while Italian authorities signalling opposition to more migration from Africa seized a rescue ship.

The U.N. refugee agency UNHCR said 65 people drowned when their boat capsized off Tunisia, and 101 others who had been picked up at sea were returned to Libya, “despite repeated warnings that it is not a safe country to send people back to.”

It was one the deadliest shipwrecks involving migrants trying to reach Europe via north Africa this year.

The incident comes as Tripoli is seeing continued clashes between Khalifa Haftar’s forces and forces under Government of National Accord’s command.

The views expressed in Op-Ed pieces are those of the author and do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of Libyan Express.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to oped@libyanexpress.com. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
Azara Media Azara Media
You might also like

Submit a Correction

For: 65 migrants drowned trying to reach Europe

Your suggestion have been successfully submitted

There was an error while trying to send your request. Please try again.

Libyan Express will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.