After Iraq, Syria, and Libya, US launches airstrikes on Yemen
The US has hit radar sites in Yemen after one of its warships in the Red Sea came under missile attack for the second time in days.
The Pentagon said the sites were on territory controlled by Houthi rebels. The rebels denied firing the missiles.
It marks the first time the US has fired at rebel targets since the start of the Yemen conflict in March 2015.
The US said initial assessments showed three radar sites involved in the recent attacks had been destroyed.
It said the US strikes had been authorised by President Barack Obama.
They were carried out using Tomahawk cruise missiles fired from the destroyer USS Nitze, according to US officials.
“These limited self-defence strikes were conducted to protect our personnel, our ships, and our freedom of navigation in this important maritime passageway,” Pentagon spokesman Peter Cook said.
“The United States will respond to any further threat to our ships and commercial traffic, as appropriate.”
The Houthi-controlled Saba news agency quoted an unnamed rebel official as saying neither the movement nor its allies were involved in any of the recent missile attacks.
The group has been fighting pro-government forces and a Saudi-led coalition since March 2015, after forcing the Yemeni president and his government into exile.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to email@example.com. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- AU, UN reiterates support to negotiated political settlement in Libya - December 06, 2022
- World Cup: Morocco knocks out Spain - December 06, 2022
- Al Jazeera files lawsuit at ICC over Israel’s killing of journalist - December 06, 2022