Aleppo slaughterhouse ends as rebels agree on evacuation deal
BBC – Military action has ended in eastern Aleppo, Russia’s ambassador to the UN, Vitaly Churkin, has said.
He said Syrian government troops had re-established control over the last areas of the city held by rebels.
He said an arrangement had been made for rebel fighters to leave. The rebels confirmed the deal, but said civilians would also be allowed to leave.
The latest developments could bring to an end more than four years of vicious fighting in which thousands have died.
Reporters on the ground said there had been no bombardments or fighting in recent hours.
The rebels had been squeezed into ever smaller areas of the city in recent months in a major government offensive backed by Russian air power.
Word of the deal came as the UN reported summary killings by pro-government forces.
It said it had reliable evidence that in four areas 82 civilians were killed, adding that many more may have died.
The UN and the US said the Syrian government and its allies Russia and Iran were accountable for any atrocities committed in the city. Russia said the allegations were untrue.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- Libya’s Mufti: human rights is now a smokescreen to destroy countries - November 28, 2022
- Al-Koni airlifted from Libya to Germany for treatment - November 28, 2022
- Is Saudi Arabia in search of the best English football clubs? - November 28, 2022