Arab League delegation arrives in Beirut for talks with leaders
A delegation led by the Arab League's secretary-general deputy will discuss the unprecedented diplomatic row between Lebanon and the Gulf during its tour in Beirut
An Arab League delegation has arrived in Beirut on Monday to discuss the diplomatic row between Lebanon and Saudi Arabia and its Gulf allies, which erupted late last month with no signs of deescalation.
Led by Secretary-General Deputy Hossam Zaki, the delegation is expected to meet with high-ranking Lebanese officials to try and find a way to ease the unprecedented crisis between Lebanon and the Gulf states.
“Arab relations are important for Lebanon and the Gulf states and I believe that the efforts we are making could go in a positive direction, and we hope that this is the starting point to overcome this crisis,” Zaki said after meeting with Lebanese Prime Minister Najib Mikati.
He added that the Arab League’s initiative also aimed to understand where Lebanon stands in the crisis and what it plans on doing.
Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Kuwait and Bahrain pulled their ambassadors from Beirut and stopped Lebanese imports, following comments made by Lebanese Information Minister George Kordahi who criticised the Saudi-led military intervention in Yemen.
Blocking Lebanese imports has dealt another economic blow to the country already its in worst ever crisis. The UAE and Saudi Arabia are Lebanon’s second and third largest export markets, respectively.
Qatar’s foreign minister is also expected to visit Lebanon to help solve the crisis, but no date has yet been set. Unlike its Gulf neighbours, Doha did not recall its ambassador from Beirut.
Lebanon’s relations with its once strong Gulf allies have taken a hit in recent years due to what Riyadh considers to be Hezbollah’s growing influence in the country.
Hezbollah, the Shia paramilitary group backed by Iran, is designated a terrorist organisation by the Gulf Cooperation Council. The militant group is also supporting Houthi rebels in Yemen, which the Saudis have been battling since 2015.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- 331 migrants intercepted and returned to Libya, says IOM - January 31, 2023
- Supreme Court: Derregia must return to his former LIA position - January 31, 2023
- Libya’s Dar al-Ifta calls for boycott of Dutch, Swedish products - January 29, 2023