Benghazi clashes leave more than 15 Dignity fighters killed and 40 injured in two days, ISIS claims
At least 15 members of the security forces were killed and 40 wounded in two days of clashes in the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi, a hospital source said on Saturday, as they try to consolidate gains made in February against Islamist militants.
On Friday, two Islamic State suicide bombers staged attacks near a cement factory in the west of the city where fighters are holding out, though only one of the bombs caused casualties, Dignity Operation spokesman Milad al-Zawie said.
Islamic State posted a message on social media saying dozens of soldiers had been killed by the bombers, but Zawie said just six soldiers were killed and 25 were wounded on Friday.
A Reuters reporter saw the bodies of at least five militants, including two suicide bombers, killed in the clashes.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- Williams urges Libyans to achieve the roadmap toward elections - July 04, 2022
- Libyan ambassador to Italy imprisoned for unlawful gains - July 04, 2022
- several injured after shooting at Copenhagen mall - July 04, 2022