Civil, tribal, regional war is looming in Libya
The commander of the eastern forces of Operation Dignity Khalifa Haftar has issued an order banning all officials of the Government of National Accord (GNA) and Presidential Council led by Fayez Al-Serraj from entering or working in the east of Libya, where he has the upper grip.
The decision came just hours after Al-Serraj appointed a previously pro-Haftar commander of Special Tasks Force, Faraj Eqaiem, as the deputy interior minister of the GNA.
This new feud-like rift id expected to expand a little bit wider as boycotting members of the Presidential Council, Fathi Al-Mijibri, Ali Al-Gotrani and Omar Al-Aswad all backed up Haftar’s decision and ;lashed out at Al-Serraj, rejecting his individual working methods and the decision he makes without consultations.
“Al-Serraj’s decisions are complicating the crisis in Libya and leading to security and stability problems across the country,” The boycotting members said, adding that all official administrations and authorities must reject Al-Serraj’s orders as they are void.
They also called on the UNSML’s Head Ghassan Salame and the international community to respond to what they described Al-Serraj’s violations that are threatening the unity of Libya, saying they only support the House of Representatives in Tobruk and the military institution led by Haftar in east Libya.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to email@example.com. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- UK calls on Iran to prevent escalation in Israel-Hamas conflict - November 05, 2023
- Libyan Interior Minister: Immigrant shelter costs a fortune - November 05, 2023
- Libya’s political crisis can only be resolved through elections, says Russian ambassador - November 05, 2023