Clashes renewed in Egyptian Sinai, militants and soldiers killed
Thirty militants and four soldiers were killed Thursday in clashes in northern Sinai, according to an Egyptian military spokesman.
The violence erupted near a security checkpoint at the city of Sheikh Zuweid, said Brig. Gen. Mohamed Samir.
ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack that targeted troops.
In a statement, it claimed that the Egyptian army had tried to push forward toward the village of Toma, but that the group’s militants succeeded in forcing the troops back by carrying out attacks and killing military personnel.
Security forces have been battling militants in northern Sinai for several years.
ISIS has previously claimed responsibility for various attacks in the Sinai, where hundreds of people have been killed by the terror group. ISIS has typically targeted security and government installations.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to email@example.com. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- Libyans should vote to determine their future, says President Saied - May 21, 2023
- Ukraine wins access to F-16s after Zelensky meets with G7 leaders - May 21, 2023
- Al-Ahly Tripoli defeats Al-Nahda in ACCC qualifiers - May 11, 2023