Education ministry declares shutdown of schools in Libya’s capital

The Education Ministry in Tripoli announced that it had suspended study in all schools in the capital on Wednesday and will suspend it also on Thursday due to the growing unrest in the capital.

All schools in downtown Tripoli were shut down on Wednesday as fears grew of possible attacks on the schools that are nearby the fighting areas, especially in Gurji, Hay Al-Andalus and other places.

The fight between armed groups vying for power and forces of the Government of National Accord’s Security Department broke out on Monday and had since continued nonstop, using all kinds of weapons including armoured vehicles and tanks.

According to different sources, the forces and fighters of the rival government “National Salvation Government” (NSG) which is positioned in Qusoor Al-Siyafa (Guest Palaces) in downtown Tripoli clashed in the first hours of Wednesday with the armed groups and official brigades under the Government of National Accord (GNA).

Meanwhile, the Libyan Red Crescent demanded all families, who wish to leave their areas because of clashes, to wait until the volunteers find a safe corridor for them so that they can depart the areas safely without being harmed by any of the clashes’ gunfire.

The neighbourhoods of Gurji, Gergarish, Hay Al-Andalus and Ghout Al-Shaal, have seen violent clashes between armed groups from Misrata and other central region areas and security forces of the Government of National Accord since Monday night.

The clashes, which were triggered by the killing of a resident from Gurji near Aman Bank last week, continued and escalated on Tuesday using medium and light weapons.

No official numbers for the deaths and injuries have been given yet by either side, however, some sources said that over a dozen fighters have been killed so far, let alone the material damage that was caused.

Tripoli Security Department said in a statement that it is attempting to kick the armed groups and militias out of the areas of Hay Al-Andalus and Gurji in a cleansing operation of the individuals who are getting in the way of the areas’ security.

The clashes of Tuesday started after the forces of Tripoli Revolutionaries Brigade, led by Haythem Al-Tajouri, and the GNA’s Security Department as well as some of the residents entered the area to drive the militias out of the positions they are located in.

The views expressed in Op-Ed pieces are those of the author and do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of Libyan Express.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to oped@libyanexpress.com. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
Azara Media Azara Media
You might also like

Submit a Correction

For: Education ministry declares shutdown of schools in Libya’s capital

Your suggestion have been successfully submitted

There was an error while trying to send your request. Please try again.

Libyan Express will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.