HNEC: Libya is 70% ready to hold December elections

The nation is 70% ready to conduct elections in December, according to the chairman of the High National Elections Commission

He also pointed out that the remaining 30% of the outstanding issues are related to election laws. [Photo: REUTERS]
Emad Al-Din Al-Sayeh, Chairman of Libya’s High National Elections Commission (HNEC), said on Thursday that the commission was 70% ready to conduct the elections on 24 December 2021 as planned, saying that the remaining 30% is connected to the election legislation.

Al-Sayeh highlighted at an emergency meeting of the HNEC board in Benghazi that the commission is in full swing in order to conduct the long-awaited election process in accordance with the highest professional standards.

He underlined the critical nature of collaborative efforts between the public administration and HNEC offices around the country in overcoming any obstacles and administrative or technological constraints.

He also stressed throughout the discussion the international community’s intention to organize elections on a predetermined date in order to restore peace to Libya.

Al-Sayeh underscored that the commission has set the timeframe of 1 July for beginning the process of implementing the 24 December elections. He emphasized that any extension of this deadline would have an effect on present plans.

The head of the HNEC also said that the commission had received 50 million Libyan dinars from the Government of National Accord (GNA). He said that it was still awaiting approval of the Budget of the Government of National Unity (GNU) in order to get more cash.

The views expressed in Op-Ed pieces are those of the author and do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of Libyan Express.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to oped@libyanexpress.com. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
Azara Media Azara Media
You might also like

Submit a Correction

For: HNEC: Libya is 70% ready to hold December elections

Your suggestion have been successfully submitted

There was an error while trying to send your request. Please try again.

Libyan Express will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.