IS attack on Jufra checkpoint in Libya leaves 11 dead
The spokesman of Libya’s self-styled national army in the east says Islamic State militants beheaded 11 people in an attack on a checkpoint, the Associated Press said.
Brig. Gen. Ahmed al-Mosmari said in a Facebook post that two of those killed Wednesday were civilians, while the rest were soldiers. The attack took place in the central district of al-Jufra, some 300 kilometers (185 miles) south of the coastal city of Sirte, which IS held until it was expelled late last year by Libyan forces.
Libya sank into chaos following the 2011 uprising that toppled and killed dictator Moammar Gadhafi. Today it is split between rival parliaments and governments in the east and west, each backed by a set of militias, tribes and political factions.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- UK calls on Iran to prevent escalation in Israel-Hamas conflict - November 05, 2023
- Libyan Interior Minister: Immigrant shelter costs a fortune - November 05, 2023
- Libya’s political crisis can only be resolved through elections, says Russian ambassador - November 05, 2023