Italian Interior Ministry: Number of immigrants arriving from Libya dropped sharply in 2017

Thousands of migrants trying to cross to Europe by sea use the central Mediterranean route between Libya and Italy.

The number of immigrants arriving in Italy from Libyan shores has dropped by a third in 2017 compared to 2016, Italy’s Interior Ministry said Sunday.

The Italian Ministry said that the drop of the arrivals’ number is a result of the assistance of Libyan authorities in combating illegal immigration in the second half of the year.

The Ministry also said that over 119.000 persons arrived in Italy in 2017 compared to 181.000 in 2016.

Meanwhile, Libya, Italy and the IOM are carrying out voluntary deportations of the illegal immigrants trapped in Libya to their countries of origin as per the UN Security Council resolution last month.

The views expressed in Op-Ed pieces are those of the author and do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of Libyan Express.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to oped@libyanexpress.com. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
Azara Media Azara Media
You might also like

Submit a Correction

For: Italian Interior Ministry: Number of immigrants arriving from Libya dropped sharply in 2017

Your suggestion have been successfully submitted

There was an error while trying to send your request. Please try again.

Libyan Express will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.