Jordan castle attackers killed by police after long standoff that left 10 dead
BBC – Jordanian security forces say they have killed four gunmen after flushing them out of a historic hilltop castle in the city of Karak.
The gunmen had fled to the castle after a shooting spree that left 10 people dead including a tourist from Canada and at least four police officers.
Police said suicide belts and weapons had been seized at a hideout used by the “terrorist outlaws”.
However, it was not clear if the men belonged to any militant group.
Earlier, the gunmen had opened fire on two police patrols before fleeing to the castle and attacking a police station there, officials said. Several tourists were trapped in the castle but were freed as security forces moved in.
At least 27 people have been wounded, some seriously.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- Politico conversation on Israel is changing after takeover - October 19, 2021
- UK vows to continue efforts for Libya’s December elections - October 19, 2021
- LPTIC appoints new Governing Board members - October 19, 2021