Jordan castle attacks kill 10 including a Canadian tourist
BBC- Gun attacks in and near the Jordanian city of Karak have left 10 people dead including a Canadian tourist and at least four police officers.
Unidentified gunmen opened fire on two police patrols before fleeing to an ancient hilltop castle and attacking a police station there, officials say.
Several tourists trapped in the castle were later freed and police were in a stand-off with gunmen as night fell.
No group has admitted carrying out the attacks.
At least 27 people have been wounded, some seriously.
“Police and security forces have surrounded the castle and its vicinity and launched an operation to hunt down the gunmen,” a statement by Jordan’s public security directorate said.
Jordan’s fight against home-grown extremism
Witnesses said shots could still be heard late into the night and security forces fired tear gas to try to flush out the gunmen.
Jordanian officials said events began earlier in the day with a shoot-out between police and armed men at a house near Karak. The gunmen then fled by car into the city.
The security directorate said gunmen had also shot at a security patrol before they reached the castle. Once inside they opened fire on a police station, a statement said.
It is not clear if all the fatalities took place at the castle.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to email@example.com. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- Five Western countries issue arrest warrants for suspects in the death of migrants in Libya - November 29, 2022
- HoR vows more ‘friendly consensus’ with HCS - November 29, 2022
- Libya’s Mufti: human rights is now a smokescreen to destroy countries - November 28, 2022