Kalamazoo, Michigan: Seven were shot in random attacks
At least seven people have been killed in a series of apparently random shootings in the Michigan city of Kalamazoo, police said.
Five people were killed at a restaurant and two at a car dealership. A 14-year-old girl was among those killed.
The attacks are being linked to an earlier shooting at a car park, which left one woman seriously injured.
Police have taken a 45-year-old male into custody and said that the threat to the public was now over.
The man did not resist when approached by officers, and weapons were found in his car, police said.
“These are random murders,” Kalamazoo County Undersheriff Paul Matyas said, describing the spree as his “worst nightmare”.
The shootings took place on Saturday evening at three locations – outside a Cracker Barrel restaurant, a Kia car dealership and a block of flats.
- Police were first called to a Kalamazoo residential building on Saturday evening where a woman was shot multiple times – reportedly in front of her children – and was taken to hospital in a serious condition
- Hours later, officers were called to the car dealership where two people were shot and killed, and a third wounded, Mr Matyas said. The two killed are believed to have been father and son
- The third shooting in the car park of a Cracker Barrel restaurant saw the gunman open fire on people in their cars. Five were killed
Gunfire was also reported at a fourth location near the restaurant soon after,WoodTV reported.
The channel also said that an eight-year-old died at the restaurant, quoting local police.
Police are interviewing the suspect and are yet to determine a motive.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- Spain’s Repsol poised to resume oil exploration in Libya - August 04, 2021
- Turkish, Russian Officials discuss Libya, other issues - August 04, 2021
- UAE to lift ban on Transit Flights from several countries - August 04, 2021