Le Journal du Dimanche: Haftar won’t agree to ceasefire, accuses UN of dividing Libya
Khalifa Haftar has ruled out a ceasefire in the battle for Tripoli and accused the United Nations of seeking to partition Libya, an interview published Sunday by French newspaper Le Journal du Dimanche said.
Haftar told the French newspaper that the political solution is still the goal for him, but he said “to get back to politics, he must first finish with militias.”
“The Head of U.N. mission to Libya, Ghassan Salame, is no longer impartial in the Libyan conflict.” Haftar added.
He said that partition of Libya is maybe what his adversaries want, adding that partition is maybe what Ghassan Salame also wants.
Haftar launched his attack on Tripoli on April 04, since then, over 500 have been killed, over 2300 injured, over 75.000 displaced and many houses and properties destroyed.
He visited France last week and met with President Emmanuel Macron, to whom he reiterated his unwillingness to commit to a ceasefire, citing the need for eliminating terrorism.
Haftar and his loyalists as well as foreign supporters call anyone who opposes their vision or ideology a terrorist and use it as a pretext for violence and for power grab.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to email@example.com. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- Haftar to fly to the US with family, pretending it’s a Libyan official visit - September 13, 2021
- Haftar hires ex-Clinton aide, ex-Republican leader to lobby Washington for Libya elections’ run - September 09, 2021
- Al-Saadi Gaddafi, late dictator’s son, released from Libyan prison - September 06, 2021